"Spring is the time of plans and projects." - Leo Tolstoy. If you're like me, every spring you want to fling open the windows and roll up your sleeves to get your home looking its best.
Here are three home improvement tips to give your home a fresh start.
1. Perform A Spring Checkup For Energy Efficiency and Safety
Spring is the perfect time to ensure all of your home's systems are working properly for the coming summer months. Here are some things you should inspect every spring:
- HVAC System - Test your air conditioning system to make sure it’s ready for summer. Change out your furnace and air conditioning filters so that your HVAC system is energy efficient. Many HVAC companies provide this service for a small fee.
- Smoke Detectors - Keep your family safe by testing your smoke and carbon monoxide alarms. Replace the batteries in your alarms in the spring and in the fall.
- Caulking and Windows - Inspect caulking around windows, doors, and kitchen and bathroom fixtures for cracks. Repair the caulking as needed. Add window treatments, such as plantation shutters, to improve your window’s energy efficiency. Open all your windows to ensure that they can freely move.
2. Deep Clean Your House So That It Shines
Nothing makes your house sparkle as well as a good, deep clean. Start by decluttering each room to open up the space. Then clean anything you don’t scrub weekly including floors, kitchen and bathroom walls, baseboards, and ceiling fans. Shine up bathroom and kitchen fixtures. Vacuum your furniture, and clean under and behind it as well.
Let in more light by cleaning your windows. Scrub your windows and screens to remove dirt and smudges. Wipe down your shutters, and clean your shades, and draperies. You can give your window blinds a lift with an ultrasonic cleaning treatment.
3. Redecorate Your Rooms For a Fresh Look
Now that you’ve cleaned your house and decluttered it, you’re ready for the fun part: re-decorating.
The easiest way to redecorate is to start with what you have. Rearranging your furniture can give the room a whole new feel. Or you can shop your house, which means switching out the furniture and accessories you already own between rooms. Add more color to your rooms with new paint, colorful accent pillows, and live plants.
If you’re ready to completely redo the look of a room, then check out our idea gallery for inspiration. It’s full of photos of beautiful rooms and window treatments for all areas of your house. Once you’ve decided on a color scheme and style for your room, you can look for coordinating paint colors, furniture, and accent pieces.
Window treatments are an easy thing to update that coordinates with your existing décor and freshens up your rooms. You can choose from a range of shutters including plantation shutters, reclaimed wood shutters, and barn door shutters as well as blinds and shades.
Get More Design Tips
If you need even more ideas for inspiration, browse through our blog. And if you find a look and window treatment that you love, give your local Sunburst store a call to set up a free in-home consultation. Our professionals will help you find the right window treatment to give your room a beautiful new look this spring.